Saturday, July 21, 2012

Introduction

   My husband and I have always loved old houses.  We have been known to go out of our way to gawk at them and are innately curious about what they're like on the inside.  We've been caught sneaking through abandoned Victorians and discreetly taking pictures from our parked car.  We crave to know stories of the people who have inhabited these incredible homes!  It's this addiction that led us to purchase our first home, a tiny two-bedroom pioneer rock house.  We did what no home buyer should ever do--bought the first house we looked at.  We fell in love with it.
   Now, only two years later, we still love living here and have no desire to move.  Living in an old house is a constant project, the extent of which can only be appreciated by those who have experienced it. My husband, a perpetual handyman with a love for creative hard work, is always working on a project while planning the next two.  Living here would not be possible without him.
   We have two perfect children, a boy and a girl.  My husband teaches Spanish and works in Real Estate while I get to play at my dream job, teaching second grade.
  My goal in this blog is to document the journey we make as we live a modern life in a home that is older than the state it is built in.  I'll tell you about any remodeling, updating, or pest controlling/hunting/killing that is required in such an ancient house.  I am also constantly trying to gather information about the people who have lived here before us.  I'll be researching the many old houses in our surrounding community and telling the history of our ancestors in the process.
   If you are also ridiculously in love with old houses you are welcome to come along!

No comments:

Post a Comment